05 August 2010

Email

Well, I've sent that long anticipated email to the Tibetan Children's Educational and Welfare Fund, the Sacred Heart high school in Dharamsala, Aadhunik public school, and the TCV schools in upper and lower Dharamsala as well as Bylakuppe. I didn't realize until afterward that I really should have included a link to this blog, but at least I learned my lesson.

Here's a copy of the email I sent:

Hello,

I am a student at Brigham Young Univeristy in Utah, USA, and I am planning a summer 2011 field study to your community in India, offered through my university's International Study Programs. Right now, I am developing my research idea and seeking a specific topic within the broad category of technology in Tibetan education. I am curious about the extent to which technology is prevalent in your educational system, and I am interested in the possibility of technology improving the quality of education in the Tibetan community. I have several questions, and I'm certain that I will have more to come as I continue my research.
How often to teachers use media in the classroom? To what extent do students use computers and internet for school work? How and to what extent has classroom media improved education? How can classroom media improve education for Tibetan or other students?
Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kristen Nicole Cardon
kristennicolecardon@gmail.com

I sent the email to nine addresses two days ago. Three failed to deliver and I have yet to have a response. Do I need to go about this a different way?

2 comments:

  1. Way to get out there and make contact! I would definitely leave them a wide time frame to respond - it could easily take weeks or more before they get to it. One thing you could try in the future is personalizing it more to the organization, explaining why you contacted them in particular, and giving them incentive to respond (what your project can contribute to them). Or you can mention things like if you find anything they've done recently that has a connection to your research. If you show them that you're interested in and care about what they're doing, they're more likely to take interest in your project. This is a great start though! I think you're asking really great questions, and I can't wait to see what your project shapes into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your suggestion! I just sent another email to an admin on facebook, posted on the TCV group wall, and started a new discussion, and I took your suggestions to heart! I hope that they feel my research will benefit them as one of the TCV goals is to "provide effective modern and Tibetan education" and I'm hoping that we'll find a way to improve education through the new technological resources available.

    ReplyDelete