13 September 2010

Mass

Oh man. I don't know Shaun Frenza, but I just read his blog and really connected with that feeling of drowning in a mass of information and responsibility. We lead different lives with different cares, but we BYU students have a great deal in common.

Open Access, Open Educational Resources, and Open Data are triumphs of the digital age. They are markers of the revolution around us. They are also, unfortunately, contributors to a problem in the digital age, a problem that is affecting me even as I type this post.

It's too much! I am a careful student; I like to be sure that I've done everything required of me the best way I can. When I take tests, I generally go through the whole thing at least twice so as to catch any mistakes I'd made the first time. My scholastic style causes me to spend ridiculous amounts of time in preparation for this class, all the while getting headaches for staring at a computer screen too long. Because of the way I set my priorities, the things that I often cut are caring for myself physically (fitness, sleep, nutrition) and attending social functions.

I'm actually shifting my priorities quite a bit this semester, but the theme of too much to do with not enough time resonates strongly with me, as I'm sure it does for many others. Is this a product of the digital age? Is this idea present in other cultures, who don't have the same constant Internet access that we do?

2 comments:

  1. I feel the exact same way. The way I have thought about learning in the past doesn't really work for this digital civilization class. There's just too much information to go over it in the traditional way. I think this mass of information could be considered a product of the digital age; the issue is that we need to think differently and learn to sort efficiently through the majority of information to find the relevant stuff we need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love it if my brain and Google could be fused into one and my searches would always turn up not only the right website the first time but also tell me exactly which parts my brain needed to read to get only the information I wanted.
    This may seem far-fetched, but I just read a passage in one of my textbooks in which critics of Descartes' day mocked him for imagining a coach that could travel at a ludicrous 35 miles per hour!

    ReplyDelete