27 September 2010

Survey Results

Ready?

Results!

Heartfelt thanks to those who took the survey. Four is, I think, a decently-sized sample of our class, but just keep the total participants in mind.

1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 meaning barely proficient and 5 meaning extremely able, how digitally literate are you? 75% responded 3. 25% responded 2.
How interesting! I rate myself at five, perhaps four. Perhaps I'm overconfident :) Or perhaps I wasn't clear by what I wanted. A five, to me, doesn't mean a computer programmer or computer science student. A person with level 5 literacy in English could read and understand the basic meaning of any text written in English. A person with level 5 digital literacy could function in a digital capacity (like navigating websites and using digital tools) without too many problems.
2. It is crucial for students to learn online communication techniques like blogging to be literate today. 100% yes
Literacy: now available online!
3. Online learning, such as collaborative writing on a wiki, is more effective than traditional methods such as individual writing. 25% yes, 75% no
When Dr. Dean, associate chair in the English department, interviewed me for my major application, she told me that one of the most effective ways to improve writing is through collaboration. Strange!
4. I regularly search for general information online. If I need basic facts, I turn to Wikipedia, Google, or the like. 75% yes, 25% no
This statement certainly applies to me. I can usually find the information I want with a quick search on one of these sites.
5. I expect to find information quickly. I am annoyed if my internet connection is slow or if a search engine doesn't immediately yield the results I want. 75% yes, 25% no
Another statement that applies to me. I am all about immediate, concise information. I love that I can type control F wherever I am and search for exactly the words I want.
6. I can generally figure out new computer programs that I've never used before. 100% yes
How hard can Prezi be, really? Give me 20 minutes and I'll have a cool presentation of my own.
7. I expect the tools I find online to be free. I wouldn't like to pay for online resources like Facebook, Skype, Twitter, YouTube, Wikipedia, or Diigo. 100% yes
This is one of Paul Levinson's hallmarks of New New Media--it is free. My mentor Dr. Burton just wrote on this fascinating topic.
This survey outlines my understanding of the critical mindsets of the digital renaissance. The question remains, to what extent are these same attitudes and abilities present in areas without the same Internet access? Do the Tibetans in India live independent of the digital revolution because they aren't as directly involved, or is the internet changing their lives, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment