06 October 2010

Book Club

My digital civilization class is doing small group book clubs, and I have three ideas for what we can read.

1. Hard Times by Charles Dickens

The novel includes characters who espouse the idea of utilitarianism and shows the impact thereof. There's a direct parallel between the "stifling, suffocating, suppressing, and constraining impact of some kinds of cyberspace interactions" that Elder Bednar discussed and the effects of utilitarianism.

2. Lyrical Ballads by William Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge

The themes of the Romantic period are evident in these poems, and they'd be a great springboard for discussion.

3. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

I really just like this book!

1 comment:

  1. Kristen!

    Great books, although I have to admit I could not stomach Wurthering Heights after expecting another Pride and Prejudice. :)

    I got your message (just yesterday, because I suck and NEVER check my voice mail). I could not get your number though because you said it too fast for me, sorry! I would still love to do lunch and get to know you and what your want to do in India and whatnot. Just let me know!

    ReplyDelete