20 October 2010

Google

Today in my writing literary criticism class we were talking about our research papers that are due next week. My professor said that several students had contacted him needing help with finding sources. In response, he spent a significant portion of the class telling us to look for sources with a plain old Google search.

I doubted him. I went to the library search first, then to Google scholar. I found next to nothing that was useful to me.

Then I went to regular Google and typed "digital leapfrogging." Here's what I found:

  • An article about leapfrogging in Korean firm and digital TV
  • Another article entitled "Myths of digital technology in Africa: Leapfrogging development?"
  • A blurb about mobile phones on the Goldstein Report, "The best of technology news on the net"
  • A news item from the Asia Times (unfortunately outdated but with the great title "Developing world leapfrogging the digital divide")
  • A paper, The Role of Leapfrogging in the Future of Youth Work and Workforce Preparation
So, altogether, not the best sources but still informative.


3 comments:

  1. Yeah, Google is a bust, but you know where I have beef? JSTOR... I can never find appropriate articles from that database. Heck, I even input the author's full name, but the first choices will be completely useless and not written by the author. And there's my little rant for today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! That's is great! Thanks for pointing out some things to watch out for with google! I'm going to show this blog, if it's alright with you, to help people understand the importance of being able to find and use other search engines!

    So, what source did you end up using to find more information on "digital leapfrogging"? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for it, Jeffrey. I didn't really end up finding anything on digital leapfrogging, which is actually good because one of my claims in my ORCA is that there's a gap in the scholarship there. So, if the articles exist, they're difficult to find!

    ReplyDelete