23 November 2010

First Interview

We spoke with Norbu Jinpa last night.  He was in India, we were in Provo.

You can listen to our recording, with all its flaws, on our website.  (That is, as soon as I figure out how to get it there.  Sorry!)

We had some microphone problems, background noise, and no web cam, but I am really happy with what we have so far!  It's Norbu telling us about himself.

I've been thinking about the format for our final project--five minutes we'll present on December 9, 2010.  We need to make every one of those five minutes count.  Parker and Sean suggested that we conduct more complex parts of the interview in text since we had quite a few technical difficulties with this first interview.



I have a vision of our presentation:  I think it should be a video (although I'm not sure that I'm ready to enter the world of video editing software).  It should begin with a very brief background of why the Tibetans are in India, what their challenges are as they live there, and how digital literacy is important and present in their lives.  There will be epic music playing in the background.  We'll then allow Norbu to introduce himself using the recording we made last night, perhaps showing a picture of him and some of his photography.  We'll take only the snippets that are the most important and alternate with text from my Skype conversations with him and with our text interviews.  I will also have responses from online interviews (emails and Facebook discussions) with a few other Tibetans--namely Passang Tsering, Chime Tenzing, and Phuntsok Dorjee.  Once we have our full interview (which, I hope, will be video) we'll take the best parts of that and alternate with text again.  I'm not sure what the climax will be, but I think this will be a fantastic video!

One of the pros of this style of presentation is that there isn't any pressure on us after we've created the video--we don't have to be nervous about memorizing speeches if we're just watching our video.  Another is that we can make it exactly five minutes long without too much trouble.

Photo credit urish

2 comments:

  1. I like where this project is going. I know from my experience that accents tend to get in the way of understanding, so Parker and Sean are right on the dot with using chat. I can't wait for the next time. I'm definitely going to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep your eye on the ball -- getting to the heart of the issues at hand. That means be careful about getting too fancy on the presentation part. Video editing can be a time waster. Whatever you do, keep it simple. Also, consider having a live component to accompany your video, even if it is just a 1 min intro to a 4 min video.

    ReplyDelete