08 January 2011

25 Questions

Research questions
  1. Does high digital literacy serve to preserve Tibetan tradition or to detract from their efforts to preserve their culture in the world culture of this interconnected world?
  2. What is the purpose for teaching Tibetan children to be digitally literate?
  3. How do Tibetan children demonstrate digital literacy in the classroom and in their free time?
  4. How has digital literacy supported and weakened Tibetan political goals?
  5. In what ways does Tibetan Buddhism support digital literacy?
  6. What does the Dalai Lama think of digital literacy and digital tools, and how does he encourage or discourage his people from learning them?
  7. In what ways is Tibetan computer use different from Indian computer use?
  8. What subgroups will I differentiate in my study besides administrators, teachers, and students? Boys v. girls? Year in school? Tibetan, Indian or other?
  9. Is Tibetan digital literacy primarily associated with age, education, wealth, or something else?
  10. What if younger students aren't digitally literate as I believe them to be?
  11. How is Tibetan digital literacy different from American digital literacy? How is it the same?
  12. What is Tibetan perception of digital literacy and computers/internet?
  13. How important are computers in the Tibetan student's life?
  14. How do Tibetans teach digital literacy, or is it largely self-taught?
  15. To what extent does Tibetan digital literacy display evidence of the digital divide or the digital leapfrog?


Personal questions
  1. How can I avoid being recruited as an activist?
  2. What should be my relationship to the Tibetan cause?
  3. How will I deal with beggars? I will want to give away all my money, I'm sure, and I can't or I'll never get back home. I don't know how to be a good person without giving to people who need money more than I do
  4. How on earth will I feed myself?
  5. What if I can't get into the TCV school?
  6. What if my host family doesn't like me?
  7. What will I be able to do on Sundays? Are there any LDS meetinghouses nearby?
  8. What does a Tibetan keyboard look like?
  9. Would the honors program possibly work with me on a course contract for my field study?
  10. Will I be as attached to India as my dear friend is to Ukraine where she just spent four months?

    Photo credit Liz Highleyman, Maharatmat, Desmond Kavanagh

    No comments:

    Post a Comment