Here are some of the changes I'm making to my project:
- I will focus on cultural preservation since it implies political status while avoiding direct involvement with the thorny issues between Tibet and China
- I will quantify data before I leave for the field, which I think will consist of asking Norbu for statistics about his community (e.g. number of Tibetans in exile/ Dharamsala, number of schools, students, available computers, internet cafes, etc.)
- I will develop survey questions that deal with the principles behind digital literacy and not necessarily the digital tools themselves (e.g. how has the computer helped you stay in touch with your friends, how does the internet affect your academic life, how do you involve other people when you're learning about something), creating the possibility of exploring the relevancy of digital literacy in a world without digital tools.
- This step can involve looking at older technology, about the prevalence of which I will ask Norbu
- This step also involves my lovely new book, Digital Culture
Off to the prep class!