25 June 2011

The Survey

Okay, it is ready.

I followed my professor's advice and spent some time observing classes (and teaching classes, actually) and talking to teachers, administrators, and students to make sure my survey questions were relevant and useful. I decided to simplify from the 20-30 questions I'd originally planned and instead stick with nine.

Here they are:

  1. I go online: every day, several times each week, several times each month, several times each year
  2. What do you usually do on the internet?
  3. What are your favorite things to do on the internet?
  4. How do you use the internet for schoolwork?
  5. True or false: I can almost always find what I am looking for on the internet
  6. Why is it useful to talk to people on the internet?
  7. Why do you use facebook?
  8. Why do we have internet? How is it useful?
  9. His Holiness the Dalai Lama said that his main concern is to preserve Tibetan culture. Does internet make Tibetan cultural preservation easier or more difficult? How?
The principal is currently reviewing my survey and will tell me on Monday if I can proceed. She might have some ideas for revisions, and it may be that I give the survey once and decide to revise, but I am happy with it so far. I have, with the teacher's permission, posed most of these questions in TCV classrooms and had excellent verbal responses, exactly what I had hoped and anticipated I would find. I am optimistic about the written responses because students are much more comfortable writing English than speaking it.

I haven't been posting much about my project at all, and that is partially because I limit my time in internet cafes and also because I cannot publish my raw data. I can say, however, that I had a great conversation with Phuntsok yesterday and he is very excited about my research. He says that I am the first person to research in this area and that the school is eagerly anticipating reading my final report. 

All I can say is--I have a lot of work to do.

1 comment:

  1. Looks great Kristen! I like that it is more concise this time around. The only one I wonder about is the "useful" question. I used one very similar during my interviews and Ghana and it seemed to be a problem- inferring that reading/writing was useful, but then again, your research is not so much interested in that. It will be interesting to see what responses you get! Let me know when your principle gives you the green light!

    You are great.

    ReplyDelete